Seeking a Bioinformatics Analyst 1 interested in microbial genomic data analysis, microbiome, transcriptome, and other Omic areas pertinent to bacteria that cause and contribute to lung disease. Research will involve the analysis of next-generation sequence data, working in a Linux computing environment, to facilitate research projects including data visualizations, creating summary reports, and statistical analysis. The grant funding for this innovative project is currently secured for 1 year.
The ideal candidate will have applied bioinformatics programming skills (Python, Java, C++, Perl, or other), able to write custom code, comfortable working in a Linux environment, experience with relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL), bash scripting, and R/Bioconductor.
1. Collaborates with and supports scientists in the area of bioinformatics analysis.
2. Assist with the design and development of major bioinformatics-related programming projects.
3. Writes custom scripts to access databases and analyze data.
4. Writes custom web tools for scientists.
5. Assists with the preparation and teaching of courses and/or demonstrations on the use of bioinformatics tools.
6. Develops and uses gene/protein functional annotation tools and programs.
7. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission on and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and center-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life ®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the center, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Proven experience using bioinformatics to solve biologically important questions. Experience in high-throughput data analysis and familiarity with widely used genomic databases and software. Must have a background in utility programming (C Shell, Perl, BioPerl, JAVA, and other languages) in a Linux environment, as well as familiarity with designing, developing, and programming databases (Oracle, MySQL). Must be able to work well independently and demonstrate proficient problem solving, excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
Certification and Licensure
Bachelor of Science degree in computer science and/or life sciences required. Masters of Science degree or PhD in Bioinformatics, computer science and/or life sciences preferred.
Zero (0) to two (2) years of recent and related experience required.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the worksite.