Some call it a career. For us it's a calling.
As the leading respiratory hospital in the nation, National Jewish Health is pioneering a new era of preventive and personalized medicine. By combining our efforts in comprehensive care, academic education and ground-breaking research, we're able to develop treatments that help our patients live more productive lives. We breathe science so our patients can breathe life. If you believe in working for an organization where Breathing Science is Life, we invite you to join our team!
Provides patient care within scope of practice and established policies and procedures under direct supervision, to assist patients with activities of daily living, to contribute towards efficient patient flow pattern, and to assist with clerical support within the patient care area.
- Collects, reports, and records basic objective and subjective data. Assists with assuring a complete patient record.
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment. Takes brief history, vital, signs, and spirometry.
- Gives injections, obtains specimens, performs venipunctures, and skin testing. Transport of specimens, charts, reports etc. as requested.
- Observes and reports changes in signs and symptoms or deviations from normal health status.
- Provides basic information which assists the licensed nurse in making lists of problems and needs, setting goals, and developing and revising plan of care.
- Provides physical care, comfort measures, and emotional support to patients whose conditions are stable or predictable.
- Assists with basic restorative nursing.
- Repeats patient teaching instructions as given by the RN.
- Documents and communicates completion of assigned duties and patient responses.
- Knows emergency procedures, location and use of emergency equipment and responds appropriately to emergency/ Cor-0 situations.
- Provides safe and appropriate care within level of training/competency, following principals of asepsis and infection control.
- Provide back up to Unit Coordinator.
- Communicates patient/family education requests or needs to RN. Provides patients with educational materials.
- Contributes toward an efficient patient care flow pattern by monitoring schedules for assigned section and coordinating patient flow and assists with admission and discharge of patients.
- Prepare exam rooms for patient use, maintaining adequate supplies & forms, & cleaning rooms between patients.
- Maintains clean unit, work space, and patients environment per regulatory and hospital/clinic requirements.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of relevant computer software.
- Completes required educational programs: BCLS, Mandatory in-services, Department and unit-based competencies; and participates in unit based QI program as requested.
- Participates in the goals of the department as evidenced by attending 50% of staff meetings, reading and initialing all applicable minutes.
Knowledge and Skills
Incumbent must have exceptional oral and written communication skills; attention to detail and ability to multi-task; and possess strong organizational skills. Capacity to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external customers while maintaining confidentiality. Incumbent must be a positive, professional team player.
High school graduate or equivalent is preferred. Successful completion of an approved Nurse Aide training program, Certified Nursing Assistant program, or Fundamentals at an approved School of Nursing is preferred.
Certification and Licensure
Current CNA and CPR/BLS certification required.
A minimum of one (1) or more years of recent and related experience required. Pediatric or adult medical experience for positions in the general or adult and pediatric units is preferred.