Provides patient care within scope of practice and established policies and procedures under direct supervision, to assist patients with activities of daily living, to contribute towards efficient patient flow pattern, and to assist with clerical support within the patient care area.
1. Collects, reports, and records basic objective and subjective data. Assists with assuring a complete patient record.
2. Prepares patients for examination and treatment. Takes brief history, vital, signs, and spirometry.
3. Gives injections, obtains specimens, performs venipunctures, and skin testing. Transport of specimens, charts, reports etc. as requested.
4. Observes and reports changes in signs and symptoms or deviations from normal health status.
5. Provides basic information which assists the licensed nurse in making lists of problems and needs, setting goals, and developing and revising plan of care.
6. Provides physical care, comfort measures, and emotional support to patients whose conditions are stable or predictable.
7. Assists with basic restorative nursing.
8. Repeats patient teaching instructions as given by the RN.
9. Documents and communicates completion of assigned duties and patient responses.
10. Knows emergency procedures, location and use of emergency equipment and responds appropriately to emergency/ Cor-0 situations.
11. Provides safe and appropriate care within level of training/competency, following principals of asepsis and infection control.
12. Provide back up to Unit Coordinator.
13. Communicates patient/family education requests or needs to RN. Provides patients with educational materials.
14. Contributes toward an efficient patient care flow pattern by monitoring schedules for assigned section and coordinating patient flow and assists with admission and discharge of patients.
15. Prepare exam rooms for patient use, maintaining adequate supplies & forms, & cleaning rooms between patients.
16. Maintains clean unit, work space, and patients environment per regulatory and hospital/clinic requirements.
17. Demonstrates proficiency in the use of relevant computer software.
18. Completes required educational programs: BCLS, Mandatory in-services, Department and unit-based competencies; and participates in unit based QI program as requested.
19. Participates in the goals of the department as evidenced by attending 50% of staff meetings, reading and initialing all applicable minutes.
20. Performs all other duties as assigned
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Incumbent must have exceptional oral and written communication skills; attention to detail and ability to multi-task; and possess strong organizational skills. Capacity to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external customers while maintaining confidentiality. Incumbent must be a positive, professional team player.
High school graduate or equivalent is preferred. Successful completion of an approved Nurse Aide training program, Certified Nursing Assistant program, or Fundamentals at an approved School of Nursing is preferred.
Certification and Licensure
Current CNA and CPR/BLS certification required.
A minimum of one (1) or more years of recent and related experience required. Pediatric or adult medical experience for positions in the general or adult and pediatric units is preferred.
- OR - any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a clinical environment. Frequent requirements may include: reading and comprehending medical literature, including basic interpretation of disease processes, medical charts, and instructions. Communication includes ability to chart vital signs and other basic information. Communication with interdisciplinary team as well as with differing ages and levels of maturity/understanding of patient and family, taking and recording telephone messages. Manual dexterity, manipulating equipment such as blood pressure kit, oximeter, spirometer. Frequently, has the need to assist a patient by moving or lifting. Considerable physical demands, requiring lifting up to 25 pounds Also involves pushing wheelchairs, opening doors and cabinets, reaching for objects. Occasionally will need to crawl in order to retrieve a fallen object for a patient. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: The potential of coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens. Has frequent exposure to infectious diseases. Occasionally, may encounter radiation from portable radiology procedures. May come into contact with various fumes/odors. Also may encounter contaminated biological waste from infectious patients. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the worksite.