This position is responsible for overseeing all activities related to the financial management of externally sponsored research projects in support of a high quality, efficient and consistent grants management program.
1. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors and rewards.
2. Manages/supervises and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Directs in-service and continuing education activities for staff. Monitors staff safety compliance and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
3. Evaluates staff performance regularly and determines merit increases, promotions and disciplinary actions.
4. Provides leadership, training, and support to grants management staff. Ensures that grant applications are submitted in a timely and accurate fashion and that awarded projects are managed within the budget and terms and conditions of the sponsor. Maintains high standards for staff.
5. Serves as the liaison to faculty and academic department leadership to ensure facilitate communication and foster a collaborative approach to grants management.
6. Maintains expertise in appropriate federal regulations, National Jewish Health policies and procedures and institutional systems. Works with the Central Grants Office to ensure grants are submitted and managed in compliance with regulations and policies.
7. Creates reports and disseminates information on a periodic basis in support of sponsored research projects. Is proactive in managing funding sources and makes recommendations regarding the efficient management of grant resources. Identifies opportunities to enhance and develop the management of research grants across the organization.
8. Participates in institutional committees and task forces. Works with stakeholders throughout the institution to solve problems affecting faculty and staff.
9. Contributes and advises regarding the planning, formulation, implementation and evaluation of institutional policy. Educates staff and partners about relevant policy and compliance issues. Develops policies and procedures to support the needs and goals of the department.
10. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Incumbent must have exceptional oral and written communication proficiency; attention to detail and ability to multi-task; possess strong organizational skills. Capacity to establish and maintain constructive business relationships with internal and external customers while maintaining integrity and confidentiality. Must be able to assume responsibility, research, analyze and successfully resolve a broad spectrum of issues while working effectively within a collaborative environment. Incumbent must be a positive, professional team player, able to manage project time constraints and work with little supervision. Excellent computer and finance skills required. Ability to read, write, and understand the English language is required.
Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Master's degree in healthcare or business administration or related field preferred.
Certification and Licensure
A minimum of five (5) years of recent and related management experience required, preferably in an academic, research or governmental organization is required. Expertise is federal grants policy is also required.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs; routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations may be required, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.
Manages 15 - 20 employees