Lab Researcher - Gorska Lab
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Medicine - Allergy & Immunology Division
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Req # 13442
The Gorska Lab (GorskaM@njhealth.org) is currently seeking Lab Researcher and Lab Researcher Technicians at National Jewish Health in Denver, CO.
The Gorska lab studies maternal effects on the immune system and development of allergic diseases, with a particular focus on asthma. A proportion of patients with asthma develop symptoms of their disease very early in life, sometimes in the 1st year. Genetic factors are contributory, but fail to fully explain why. It is therefore increasingly recognized that development of early-life asthma is dependent in substantial part on environmental exposures that are encountered by infants after birth and exposures and health status of their mothers during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Dr. Gorska’s lab is focused on maternal factors, trying to delineate the mechanisms underlying their effects in offspring.
More specific goals of the lab are to define maternal information that is gained and transmitted to offspring or lost and not transferred to offspring, elucidate routes of information transfer (placenta, breast milk, gametes), delineate offspring cells and pathways that are programmed by this information, and study how these cells and pathways contribute to the development of asthma. The lab has particular interest in cells and pathways of the immune system. The translational goals are to identify early-life biomarkers of predisposition to asthma in humans and define molecular targets for development of preventive drugs.
To accomplish these goals, the lab uses mouse models, human cord blood samples, blood samples from young children with asthma, and a variety of immunological, signaling and transcriptomics approaches.
To learn more visit: http://www.njhealth.org/gorska-lab.
Lab Researcher Technician:
1. Performs routine laboratory tests under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Lab Manager.
2. Collects, accurately records and analyzes data in conjunction with other research staff.
3. Obtains and maintains minimum proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, basic programming and mathematical ordering systems. May utilize computer.
4. Maintains compliance with all institutional/safety training requirements.
5. Maintains laboratory records, supplies and samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
1. Develops new techniques and investigative procedures, including scientific routines, computer programming techniques and data reporting techniques.
2. Monitors quality control of routines, experiments, general laboratory activities and the use of research animals in the laboratory setting.
3. Performs laboratory functions unique to the assigned laboratory.
4. Provides general guidance to laboratory staff, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Acts as a leader for laboratory programs and staff in assigned areas.
5. Demonstrates enhanced proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, programming and mathematical ordering systems.
6. Prepares statistical tabulations, using a calculator or computer.
7. Oversees supply functions, inventory control, equipment use and maintenance, and animal care and ordering, as needed.
8. Maintains compliance with all institutional / safety training requirements.
9. Maintains laboratory records, supplies, samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
10. Acts a liaison to other department personnel, outside investigators, and vendors.
11. Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
Lab Researcher Technician: BS /BA degree, a demonstrated basic knowledge of laboratory procedures, laboratory equipment, and data collection /classification required.
Lab Researcher: BS /BA Degree and 2 years of Laboratory Experience required. A Master’s Degree and laboratory experience may be substituted for the required 2 years of work experience.