Lab Researcher Technician - Bowler Lab
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Medicine - Pulmonary Division
Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Req # 13548
The Bowler Laboratory in the Pulmonary Division at National Jewish Health is seeking a Lab Researcher Technician to join our team.
The selected candidate will participate in an NIH-funded research projects to study the health effect of cigarette smoke exposure. Our NIH-funded research projects include work in genetics, proteomic, and metabolomics in involves processing human specimens (mainly blood). A major focus is biomarker discovery. Basic skills required include data entry, and knowledge in biology or biochemistry.
The ideal candidate will effectively:
- Execute experiments following protocols and compile accurate research records and present data in group settings.
- Build their scientific knowledge by reading relevant articles and attending seminars.
- Demonstrate initiative in solving problems and implementing laboratory procedures.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors.
- Collaborate with faculty, coordinators and senior lab members in the performance and analysis of complex research studies.
- Perform biomarker assays (e.g., ELISA, MSD, etc.), RNA isolations, and basic plate assays that can be used for drug screens.
- Manage a biobank
- Work with mice occasionally for experimental models of cigarette smoke exposure
The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of:
- Laboratory biology, molecular biology, histology and genotyping.
- Cell culture and basic data analysis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite
To learn more about the Bowler lab please visit our lab website here.
The position performs as an entry level technician under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Laboratory Manager which may include assisting in collecting, tabulating and analyzing research data.
- Performs routine laboratory tests under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Lab Manager.
- Collects, accurately records and analyzes data in conjunction with other research staff.
- Obtains and maintains minimum proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, basic programming and mathematical ordering systems. May utilize computer.
- Maintains compliance with all institutional/safety training requirements.
- Maintains laboratory records, supplies and samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
- Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
BS /BA degree, a demonstrated basic knowledge of laboratory procedures, laboratory equipment, and data collection /classification required.