National Jewish Health is currently seeking a Lab Research Technician to join the dynamic laboratory team of the genomics facility. The genomics facility is dedicated to bringing cutting edge genomic technologies to the research and clinical communities.
The ideal candidate must be detailed oriented, enthusiastic, and able to work with minimal supervision once trained. Equally, the candidate must be able to multi-task and balance different projects, show excellent written and verbal communication skills, and should have an academic background in biology. Knowledge of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS), Sanger sequencing, Laboratory Information Systems (LIMS) and basic molecular biology techniques is highly desirable.
We’re looking for someone who is a responsible, dedicated team player. This person will perform routine laboratory tests under the direction of the lab manager. In addition, the candidate should:
(1) Demonstrate the ability to understand oral and written documentation, write lab reports, understand and implement lab procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations;
(2) Show functional knowledge of principles, practices and techniques in DNA/RNA extraction protocols and analyses, Sanger Sequencing, PCR, and QC assays - demonstrated by understanding applying concepts and terminology;
(3) Be personable and demonstrate the ability to recognize problems, troubleshoot, and resolve typical laboratory issues; and
(4) Demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and individuals.
1. Performs routine laboratory tests under the direction of a Principal Investigator or Lab Manager.
2. Collects, accurately records and analyzes data in conjunction with other research staff.
3. Obtains and maintains minimum proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, basic programming and mathematical ordering systems. May utilize computer.
4. Maintains compliance with all institutional/safety training requirements.
5. Maintains laboratory records, supplies and samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
1. Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
2. Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
3. Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
4. Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
5. Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
6. Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
7. Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
8. Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
Other Duties & Responsibilities (Optional)
1. Performs all other duties as assigned
1. Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
2. Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
3. Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
4. Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
5. Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
6. Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
BS /BA degree, a demonstrated basic knowledge of laboratory procedures, laboratory equipment, and data collection /classification required