This Lab Researcher position is in the Culture Core of the Cystic Fibrosis Research and Development Program. The purpose of the Culture Core in the CFRDP is to identify samples originating from CF patients, collate results from the National Jewish Health clinical Mycobacteriology Laboratory and integrate these results within the context of the Care Center Network.
Isolates submitted from within the CF Care Center Network will be tracked and undergo additional analysis. In addition to identification and DST, strains within the same subspecies will be forwarded to the Molecular Core of the CFRDP for genetic fingerprinting with the purpose of monitoring clonal strains within and between Centers. If matches are detected, the Core informs the Care Center(s) of potential transmission. In addition, these isolates are banked for future analysis.
Researchers selected for this position will be involved in all elements of the CFRDP Culture Core and collaborate with members of the Clinical and Molecular Cores.
1. Develops new techniques and investigative procedures, including scientific routines, computer programming techniques and data reporting techniques.
2. Monitors quality control of routines, experiments, general laboratory activities and the use of research animals in the laboratory setting.
3. Performs laboratory functions unique to the assigned laboratory.
4. Provides general guidance to laboratory staff, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Acts as a leader for laboratory programs and staff in assigned areas.
5. Demonstrates enhanced proficiency in data analysis, preparation of glassware, extraction and plating procedures, programming and mathematical ordering systems.
6. Prepares statistical tabulations, using a calculator or computer.
7. Oversees supply functions, inventory control, equipment use and maintenance, and animal care and ordering, as needed.
8. Maintains compliance with all institutional / safety training requirements.
9. Maintains laboratory records, supplies, samples in an organized manner (such as a laboratory notebook and sample storage record).
10. Acts a liaison to other department personnel, outside investigators, and vendors.
11. Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments.
Other Duties & Responsibilities (Optional)
1. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Laboratory Knowledge: Demonstrates and understands laboratory testing and methodology.
2. Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
3. Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness in the midst of change in work responsibilities or environment, requirements ambiguity, or stress.
4. Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
5. Informing/Communicating: Conveys ideas, responses, or instructions effectively, appropriately, and persuasively through writing or speech.
6. Professional Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
7. Drive for Excellence: Consistently meets performance expectations, ensures that accurate, objective, and timely measures of quality are made and used.
8. Innovation Management: Identifies key trends, opportunities, and organizational capabilities that would bring competitive advantage to the organization. Sees trends before others and integrates concepts in a unique way.
1. Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
2. Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
3. Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
4. Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
5. Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
6. Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
7. Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
8. Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
BS /BA Degree required
2 years of Laboratory Experience required or
A Master’s Degree and 3 years or laboratory experience may be substituted for the required 2 years of work experience.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure