Medical Interpreter - Bilingual in Spanish and English
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Clinical Affairs
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: Variable
Req # 12658
This position serves as a language interpreter providing patient centered communication for patients during their scheduled clinical appointments at National Jewish Health. Serves as a liaison between patients/family members and NJH departments in identifying and resolving patient concerns. The overall goal is to improve patient communication, satisfaction and service.
- Provide high quality consecutive interpretation from non-English language to English and English to non-English language between patients/families and NJH clinical staff during clinical encounters. Interpretation should be in easily understood, appropriate conversational language.
- Assists in providing individual patient specific oral or written instructions/information as appropriate and directed by NJH healthcare provider.
- Assist NJH scheduling areas with patient communication as directed by NJH management.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of clinical operations within NJH to facilitate role as interpreter.
- Maintain a high level of customer service skills with all encounters. Effectively facilitates communication and interpretation.
- Observes the rights of a patient including but not limited to Patient Confidentiality, Patient Privacy, and the Patient Bill of Rights. At all times will assure professional and ethical conduct.
- Assesses and monitors patient’s understanding of information conveyed and attempts to facilitate understanding in the event of a communication breakdown.
- Records and monitors interpretation activities according to NJH standards.
- Develops and maintains positive staff relationships both interdepartmentally and intradepartmental.
- Assists in referring patients to appropriate services and resources within National Jewish Health.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Peer Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
High school diploma required. Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in appropriate language skills preferred.
2 years recent and related experience utilizing language interpretation required. Healthcare or education experience preferred.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
Bridge in the Gap certification or equivalent preferred.