National Jewish Health is currently seeking a Microbiology Student Researcher to join the dynamic laboratory team of Jennifer Honda, PhD. The Honda lab is dedicated to learning more about the environmental, host, and microbial factors driving the emergence and pathogenesis of nontuberculous mycobacterial (NTM) lung disease.
The ideal candidate must be first and foremost - detailed oriented, enthusiastic, show excellent written and verbal communication skills, and should have an undergraduate academic background in microbiology (preferred) or in biology, immunology, microbial ecology, or similar.
The ideal candidate will be a responsible, dedicated team player, who will perform routine laboratory tests under the direction of Dr. Honda. This individual will also be:
- An avid learner of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM),
- Experienced in the mastery of aseptic techniques, microbial culture, and basic microbiological techniques,
- Able to prepare glassware, culture media, and support other laboratory activities.
- Able to write concise and detailed lab reports, understand and implement lab procedures, and communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Personable and demonstrate the ability to recognize problems, troubleshoot, and resolve typical laboratory issues under the guidance of lab members.
- Able to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships with team members.
For more information, check out the Honda lab website HERE.
To observe and learn techniques within a laboratory setting.
- Observe procedures and techniques unique to specific jobs and tasks.
- Assist Laboratory Researchers with routine lab procedures such as data collection, sterilization of equipment and preparation of routine laboratory solutions.
- Stock and inventory laboratory supplies.
- Pick up and deliver materials and supplies.
- Answers phones, screen calls, refers calls or messages, arranges appointments, greets visitors and performs associated clerical duties.
- Enters data or performs related computer data entry.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
- Peer Relationships: Interacts with others in a constructive, positive, and respectful manner, regardless of individual differences. Assists team members or co-workers in achieving personal goals and completing assignments.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Experience with basic laboratory equipment preferred.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure