Patient Navigator - Adult CF Program (Medical Assistant or CNA)
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Nursing - Administration
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Req # 13109
Provides support to CF Program physicians and the ancillary team for CF patients who require advanced administrative service relating to hospitalization, home IV antibiotics therapy and prior authorization for medications and testing.
1. Administer all pre-authorizations for admission. Contact ESJH call Center with pre-admission data. Distribute pre-admission information and maps to new patients.
2. Call patients with bed assignment and the time bed when is ready.
3. Monitor/prompt patient for timely presentation to hospital.
4. Pre-schedule PICC placement and interventional radiology services as needed.
5. Arrange for transfer of Radiographic studies between institutions.
6. Administrate pre-authorization for discharge meds prior to discharge.
7. Maintenance of inpatient census spreadsheet.
8. Coordination of follow-up appointments with the patient prior to discharge.
9. Liaison for orders between CF Nurse Practitioner and Home IV Pharmacies.
10. Call patients for weekly or bi-weekly home IV follow up appointment.
11. Obtain and monitor collection of lab reports from home nursing.
12. Entry of lab results into EMR for patients on a daily basis.
13. Maintenance of home IV roster and update of lab results 3 times weekly for on-call CF physicians.
14. Administrate all CF Prior-Authorizations for prescriptions. (Average 40/week). Includes entry into "Cover My Meds" website, check on status of applications, communicate status with pharmacies and patients.
15. Administrate new applications for Orkambi, including 1, 3, 6, 12-month all applicable follow-up appointments and lab monitoring.
16. Monitor clinic schedules and coordinate appointment request for patients in Tempus computer system. Communicate with appropriate departments and physicians to correct scheduling errors.
17. Arranges for medical records and images to be available at the time of new patient visits, for patients who receive care at other Centers, and for patients who have not been seen at this Center for >1 year. Reviews upcoming clinic patients for the following week and checks with faculty as to whether other specialty testing will need to be arranged (i.e audiogram, CT scan, etc) are needed at the time of the appointment.
18. Performs all other duties as assigned
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customers needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Proven interpersonal, communication and organization skills. Good command of the English language, both written and verbal. Demonstrated skills: Word processing, medical and/or technical terminology. Use common office machinery such as fax, copier, scanning and Microsoft Office applications. Utilize Patient Tracker. Independent, organized and self-motivated.
High school graduate or equivalent preferred. Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program or other medical program that meets the criteria of a medical assistant program.
Certification and Licensure
CPR/BLS required; Medical Assistant Certification, preferred
A minimum of one (1) year of experience as a Medical Assistant
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.