This position greets, instructs, and directs patients and visitors. Performs blood collections, including venipuncture and microbiological sample collections. Performs other laboratory procedures, including sweat collections. Delivers safe and appropriate patient care within the scope of established policies and procedures.
1. Greets patients and visitors in a professional, prompt, courteous, and helpful manner. Utilizes standard procedures for the maintenance of positive patient identification; verifies and records appropriate collection information on laboratory documentation.
2. Performs a variety of routine blood drawing procedures to include venipuncture techniques using standard equipment - including vacutainer tubes, tourniquets, syringes, butterfly needles and straight needles. Reporting of any adverse reactions to supervisor or nursing staff.
3. Performs sweat collections using established procedures. Instructs patients on urine and sputum collection procedures and testing requirements.
4. Prepares, processes, labels and stores patient specimens and samples according to departmental procedures using standard techniques and equipment.
5. Maintains a clean and orderly work area. Ensures work area is disinfected as required. Maintains supplies in work areas and notifies supervisor immediately when supplies are needed.
6. Performs transportation of lab samples to main lab when necessary.
7. Assists in the orientation of new staff members.
8. Completes patient ordering in electronic systems.
9. Maintains appropriate knowledge of HIS and EMR to ensure maximum personal proficiency.
10. Provides appropriate education to patients/families utilizing effective teaching skills and National Jewish Health supportive materials as directed by supervisor. Supports National Jewish Health philosophy of patient/family education.
11. Attends continuing education programs sponsored by National Jewish Health, manufacturer in-services and/or professional society programs, as directed.
1. Performs as phlebotomy concierge as needed.
1. Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
2. Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
3. Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
4. Customer Focus: Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organization’s needs.
5. Energy: Consistently maintaining high levels of activity or productivity; operating with vigor, effectiveness, and determination over extended periods of time.
6. Initiative: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
7. Patient Relations: Meeting patient and patient family needs; taking responsibility for a patient’s safety, satisfaction, and clinical outcomes; using appropriate interpersonal techniques to resolve difficult patient situations and regain patient confidence.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
1. Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
2. Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
3. Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
4. Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
5. Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
6. Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
7. Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
8. Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
High school diploma or equivalent required. College level courses in Biology, related life sciences and/or medical terminology is preferred.
A minimum of three (3) years of recent phlebotomy experience in a medical office or other healthcare setting preferred.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
Current CPR certification required. Current Phlebotomy Certification preferred (documentation of successful completion of a formal program is preferred). Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP) preferred.