National Jewish Health in Denver, a leading respiratory hospital, has an open postdoctoral research associate position in Dr. Rafeul Alam’s laboratory in the Allergy and Immunology Division, Department of Medicine.
We investigate signaling, cellular and molecular mechanisms of asthma. The research incorporates mouse models of acute and chronic asthma using genetically modified strains, mouse lung function studies, isolation of immune cells such as ILC2s and T cells from mouse organs as well as human blood and airways from asthmatic patients, functional studies of immune cells using flow cytometry, immunofluorescence staining, PCR, ELISA, western blot, immunoprecipitation, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, mutational studies, knockdown and other biochemical techniques.
We are seeking a candidate with a PhD degree in immunology, biochemistry or molecular biology. Prior experience in the foregoing laboratory skills is an advantage.
1. Performs, on a very independent basis, all phases of experimental investigations, to include being responsible to the Principal Investigator in the planning, developing, operating, recording, collaborating and reporting of major projects.
2. Collaborates with Principal Investigators and senior researchers in the progress of major research projects.
3. Provides guidance to laboratory staff in one or more laboratory areas, including technicians, support and auxiliary staff. Performs as the technical advisor on techniques involving complex analyses utilizing highly sophisticated techniques. Serves as primary contact with researcher staff for technical services on major techniques, recording devices and statistical procedures relative to the specifically assigned field.
4. Reviews quality control of new or modified laboratory techniques which affect any part of major projects.
5. Performs routine and non-routine tests leading to the successful completion of developed experiments. Knows and follows age-specific guidelines.
6. Performs as a back-up to staff absences and vacancies, as necessary.
7. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Extensive knowledge of standard research practices and methods, particularly in the field of assignment, and of other values of research in the field involved. Ability to determine the approach to a research problem which will give the most significant results and to develop, lay out and plan the actual experiments to be performed, and ability to devise new methods and techniques as needed in experimentation. Ability to plan, organize and direct work of supporting personnel. Ability to prepare and write reports on research projects. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, other research personnel and the general public.
M. D.; or, Ph. D. in biology, chemistry or other basic sciences required.
Certification and Licensure
A minimum of five (5) years of specified experience in technical investigatory techniques required. M. D. or Ph. D. in a specified basic science field will suffice for 2 yrs experience.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a laboratory. Frequent requirements may include: manual dexterity; normal color vision; long periods of standing and sitting, and frequent periods of bending, crouching or stooping; work with radioactive materials, toxic chemicals, biomedical wastes and research animals; potential exposure to infectious disease; work around electrical/explosive hazards; work with laboratory equipment/machinery; and lifting objects weighing 10 to 50 pounds; and extensive repetitive motion of the fingers, arm and wrist. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: working in laboratories with odors, chemicals and animals; extreme temperatures; electrical; working around hazardous and radioactive substances; working under dirty and dusty conditions. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the worksite.