Pre-Analytical Technician Lead
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Clinical Lab - Administration
Work Hours: 1:00-11:30 Sun- Wed
Req # 13612
Provides sample receipt, handling, accessioning, data entry, metric gathering and any/all support at the pre-analytical stage of ADx laboratory testing. Assist Pre-Analytical Supervisor in maintaining work flow and operational efficiency.
1. Leads the work of co-workers providing effective communication, direction, guidance and resources as appropriate.
2. Perform all duties according to QA/QC guidelines outlined within the ADx quality system.
3. Manage receiving and handling of samples for processing in multiple laboratories.
4. Work closely with the Phlebotomy staff to ensure timely delivery of critical samples.
5. Communicate with laboratory staff on the status of the delivery or receipt of samples.
6. Understand specimen types related to test(s) ordered and prepare samples for biological processing in the laboratory.
7. Data entry of all patient/client information into the LIS/LIMS system for sample tracking.
8. Understand clinical departments requirements with regard to specimen types and quantity needed for each test, specimen handling and delivery.
9. Understands the functions of billing departments and appropriately credits charges when necessary in real time.
10. Understanding of compliance regulations related to test ordering which may change on a daily basis.
11. Flexibility and willingness to adapt to change and pursuit of continuous improvement efforts and be part of process improvement groups.
12. Ability and willingness to support the goals of the department with regard to staffing needs on weekends, holidays and on call and overtime.
13. Commitment to fulfilling internal and external customer requirements in the course of carrying out routine position responsibilities.
14. Take ownership and accountability of ensuring the highest quality and internal/external customer service and acts as an example for staff.
15. Performance task proficiency includes but is not limited to the following manual functions: sorting, racking, pickup and delivery of specimens to the laboratory, specimen storage/archiving, centrifugation – aliquoting.
16. Assists lab director in revision of the lab manual, preparation for CAP inspections, proficiency testing program development, and competency programs for lab personnel. Makes recommendations to improve laboratory operations and education of the technicians.
17. Attends continuing education programs sponsored by National Jewish, manufacturers' in-services and/or other professional programs
18. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses outstanding customer service skills, excellent interpersonal communication, writing and verbal skills. Must possess time management, organizational, troubleshooting and problem solving skills. Demonstrate proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, and the Internet; possess typing skills at least 35 wpm, and ten-key. Must be detail oriented, meet deadlines, and have the ability to communicate effectively and professionally to clients and hospital staff. Must be punctual, reliable, and professional, make independent decisions, work as a team player, and work overtime as needed. Problem solving skills and strong leadership qualities required.
Certification and Licensure
None required. Medical Assistant certification is preferred.
High school diploma or equivalent and/or Medical Assistant certification preferred. College level courses in Biology, related life sciences and/or medical terminology is preferred.
A minimum of two (2) years of recent work experience in a laboratory and/or lab assistant training, and knowledge of testing procedures and sample requirements are preferred. Institutional knowledge of Advanced Diagnostic Laboratories necessary with a recommended six months minimum experience as a Pre-Analytical Technician.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a laboratory environment. Frequent requirements may include: manual dexterity; normal color vision; long periods of standing and sitting, and frequent periods of bending, crouching or stooping; work with radioactive materials, toxic chemicals, biomedical wastes and research animals; potential exposure to infectious disease; work around electrical/explosive hazards; work with laboratory equipment/machinery; and lifting objects weighing 10 to 50 pounds; and extensive repetitive motion of the fingers, arm and wrist. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs; routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations may be required, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: Working in laboratories with odors, chemicals and animals; extreme temperatures; electrical; working around hazardous and radioactive substances; working under dirty and dusty conditions. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.
May lead the tasks of co-workers