Registered Nurse (RN) - Research
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Clinical Research Unit 30050
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: 7:00-3:30
Req # 12863
To deliver clinical nursing skills and theoretical knowledge in the delivery of research protocols utilizing a systematic approach to nursing and research practices. Assists others in developing their skills, knowledge, and abilities.
1. Recruitments patient population for research protocols.
2. Demonstrates ability to effectively assess patient care requirements through interviewing, observation, and nursing procedures.
3. Provides safe, direct patient care that addresses the patient's current clinical status and research protocols.
4. Evaluates, monitors, and documents the patient's response to research protocols/procedure.
5. Attends and contributes to the planning process for patient care after completion of participation in protocols.
6. Dispenses medications to patients as directed by physician. Administers parenteral medications as directed by physician.
7. 7. Assists physician investigator in performing invasive procedures such as bronchoscopy.
8. Demonstrates informal and formal patient teaching skills to address needs of one or more patients and/or families.
9. Performs competencies (including age-specific) as identified through the departmental competency program.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of research theory and practice.
11 Demonstrates consistent role model behaviors in dealing with patients, families, significant others, and other members of the multidisciplinary team.
12. Recognizes key factors of the work environment and contributes to effectiveness with appropriate organizational skills.
13. Participates actively in the development and evaluation of research-based programs.
14. In coordination with physicians, other coordinators, pharmaceutical company sponsors and patients in scheduling and processing of research protocols/procedures.
15. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Bachelor's in Nursing or Graduation from an Accredited School of Nursing required. Participates actively in development and evaluation of research-based programs.
Certification and Licensure
Current Colorado RN license required; current CPR/BLS required. ACLS/PALS or other certification as specified by individual department.
A minimum of one (1) year experience, preferred. Strong medical / surgical, pediatric care nursing experience or ICU/ER, preferred.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a clinical nursing environment. Frequent requirements may include: reading and comprehending medical literature, including interpretation of disease processes, medical charts, nursing/medical journals and books, medication instructions and physician notes and instructions. Also includes calculations of adult and/or pediatric medication dosages, IV administration, review of vital signs, spirometry, percentiles and interpretation of graphs and lab values. Communication includes ability to provide comprehensive and accurate nursing progress notes, communication with interdisciplinary team as well as with differing ages and levels of maturity/understanding of patient and family, committee reports, discharge plans for patients, memos to staff members, taking and recording telephone messages. Manual dexterity is needed to write notes while holding a chart, manipulating and operating equipment such as non-invasive blood pressure monitoring device, IV pump, oximeter, Jaeger for spirometry testing. Frequently has the need to assist a patient by moving or lifting. Also involves pushing wheelchairs, opening doors and cabinets, reaching for medications or objects. Physical Demands may include the ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Incumbent must be able to bend in order to retrieve a fallen object for a patient. Mental demands include, concentration, ness, memory, judgment, ability to analyze, ability to apply logical thinking to define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: Handling syringes and needles and have the potential for coming into contact with bloodborne pathogens. Has frequent exposure to infectious diseases. Occasionally, may encounter radiation from portable radiology procedures. May come into contact with various fumes/odors. May come into contact with toxic waste while providing chemotherapy. Also may encounter contaminated biological waste from infectious patients. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in worksite.