We are seeking a highly motivated candidate with a background in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Population Genetics, or Statistical Genetics for a post-doctoral position within an independent research group in the Center for Genes, Environment, and Health. The research in our laboratory focuses on translational genetic and genomic studies of complex lung diseases.
This position will be focused on the advanced bioinformatics and statistical analysis of Next-Generation sequencing data. In particular, the successful candidate will be involved in both large gene expression, eQTL, and single cell sequencing data analyses. The successful candidate will be responsible for the programming, data processing, and statistical analysis of next generation sequencing, genetic, and other data generated by projects aimed at understanding the genetic and functional basis of complex lung diseases.The successful applicant will be expected to learn and develop analytical techniques as required by the research project. The successful applicant will be expected to participate in manuscript preparation and writing. The successful applicant will need great communication skills and the ability to function well as part of a team working on these projects.
The ideal candidate will display:
- Proven experience using bioinformatics to analyze high-throughput genetic and genomic data
- General shell scripting knowledge and experience working in UNIX and LINUX environments, particularly with large text files and genomic information
- Experience working and programming in Windows and Linux environments
- Demonstrated knowledge and programming experience in VB, .NET, PERL, R, C++, and/or Java, and willing to pick up new programming languages as necessary
- Familiarity and working knowledge with standard bioinformatics tools, packages, algorithms, and databases
- Familiarity with statistical analysis methods and tools for bioinformatics
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and multi-tasking
- Effective judgment and problem solving with little supervision
- Highly motivated and committed to biomedical research
- Experience creating and maintaining in-house SQL relational databases, and working with and extracting information from public databases such as NCBI and UCSC genome databases
- Analysis of allele-specific expression data
- Experience in eQTL mapping or with single cell sequencing data
1. Leads the work of co-workers providing effective communication, direction, guidance and resources as appropriate.
2. Provides leadership for bioinformatics projects.
3. Leads the design and development efforts of major bioinformatics-related programming projects.
4. Writes advanced scripts to access databases and analyze data.
5. Leads the effort for preparation and teaching of courses and/or demonstrations on the use of bioinformatics tools.
6. Directs and guides DNA, RNA and protein sequence database searches and the computational analysis of resulting data.
7. Provides workflow direction to subordinates and serves as a mentor to junior staff.
8. Interprets complex biological information. Performs tasks to reduce and consolidate output from software. Prepares data for utilization by other scientists.
9. Write manuscripts related to bioinformatics projects assigned.
10. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission on and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer's needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and center-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish's identity (Science Transforming Life ®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the center, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Advances skills using bioinformatics to solve biologically important questions. Advanced in high-throughput data analysis and familiarity with widely used genomic databases and software. Advanced skills in utility programming (C Shell, Perl, BioPerl, JAVA, and other languages) in a Linux environment, as well as designing, developing, and programming databases (Oracle, MySQL). Must be able to work independently and have advanced problem solving skills. Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
Certification and Licensure
PhD in Bioinformatics, computer science and/or life sciences.
Minimum experience is that gained in obtaining a Ph.D. performing computational/genetic analysis.
Position is an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.
May lead the tasks of co-workers