Schedule patient appointments for physician and ancillary services. Accurately collect all necessary patient demographic and insurance information. To maintain communications with both patients and clinical staff regarding scheduling issues.
- Provides excellent customer service to patients, co-workers, physicians and clinical staff.
- Collects all necessary patient demographic, insurance and clinical information and updates changes when needed.
- Schedules new patient appointment using symptoms and clinical information collected. Determines which physician and/or clinic can best serve the patient. Schedules patient appointments for physician and ancillary services in a timely and accurate manner. Accurately update and maintain patient wait list.
- Refers patients to financial counseling if necessary.
- Communicates with utilization management if necessary to ensure that services are authorized prior to the scheduled appointment.
- Enters physician orders and clinical details into the Registration order entry system in a timely and accurate manner.
- Notifies admissions department of need for direct patient contact and follow up.
- Communicates with clinicians to ensure that patient appointments are accurately ordered and scheduled. Manages physician schedules as assigned to ensure that schedules are full and accurate.
- Maintains communications with patients to keep them apprised of the status of their appointments. Acts as a problem solver with patients, clinicians and departments to ensure that scheduling is performed with the highest level of customer service. Monitors all aspects of individual patient schedules for continuity of appointments and appropriate prerequisite appointments.
- Self reviews scheduled appointments to ensure account is correctly set up. Serves as a backup for other personnel in the Adult Administrative Services Department.
- Maintains appropriate level of knowledge regarding NJH clinical operations, insurance procedures, and clinical terminology. Maintains appropriate level of expertise with the Registration systems, Scheduling system, and Electronic Medical Record system.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
- Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
- Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
- Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
- Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
- Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
- Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Candidate will need to possess effective and diplomatic oral and written communication skills, including handling difficult customers. Strong problem resolution skills. Effective computer skills, Strong typing: minimum of 40 words per minute. As well as, experience prioritizing and organizing work in an environment with frequent interruptions.
High school graduate or equivalent preferred.
Certification and Licensure
One (1) year Customer Service and/or Call Center experience required. Prior experience in a medical office is preferred. Excellent telephone and interpersonal skills is required. Must possess good problem-solving, negotiation, and time management skills.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1700 employees in the worksite.