Senior Director of Research & Prospect Management
National Jewish Health/National Jewish Health - Galleria Office Towers/Prospect Research
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Req # 12762
The Senior Director of Research and Prospect Management supports organizational fundraising by conducting deep background research, categorizing prospects and donors into groups based on interest, capacity and readiness with a goal of filling the prospect pipeline. This position sets direction for the prospect research program, tracks success/failure of prospecting efforts, supervises research staff and supervises the production and distribution of research reports. Manages data related to high value donors/prospect and all other activity housed in the National Jewish Health Development Research workgroup.
- Manages and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, interviews, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors, evaluates, coaches, counsels, disciplines, and rewards. Establishes and monitors staff safety and regulatory compliance.
- Researches, organizes and evaluates donors, patients, guarantors, and prospects financial capacity, interests, ability, willingness, and connections to the organization and other charitable interests.
- Prepares in-depth, well-written high level donor briefs for leadership, develops full scale donor profiles, Raiser’s Edge based donor profiles, and guest sketches based on data culled from the database and other external data sets.
- Oversees production of all research prepared for the CEO, Vice President of Development and Board Members.
- Works on special campaign related projects as assigned by the Associate Vice President of the Campaign and Vice President of Development.
- Prepares monthly report of prospect activity for the Vice President of Development and key department leadership highlighting new assignments and prospects in pipeline.
- Holds regular meetings with the Vice President of Development, and key department leadership to review and evaluate assignments, determine progress through the pipeline to confirm hand-off has been successfully completed and managed.
- Manages high value donor data and prospect data within the database so they are properly coded with the most current information. Stewards the board and trustee list to ensure data is correct, contributes to database policies and best practices to direct how data is captured, creates donor listings and produces related donor letters for annual report, and oversees list building processes that include high value donors.
- Keeps current on prospecting trends and key prospects, maintains professional contacts with colleagues in the industry, and attend professional prospecting courses.
- Maintains comprehensive files on major donor prospects.
- Prepares budget and manages expenses.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Building Strategic Relationships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Informing and Communicating: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Initiative: Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Talent Management for Leaders: Clearly establishes and communicates expectations and accountabilities; monitors and evaluates performance; provides effective feedback and coaching; identifies development needs and helps employees address them to achieve optimal performance.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Manages 1 -3 employees.
Bi-annual travel to the Research/Prospect Management Conference.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree required.
A minimum of five (5) years of recent and related fund-raising database management and/or research experience, preferably within a health care environment required. Experience managing and developing an effective staff required. Previous campaign research experience preferred.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
Experience with Raiser’s Edge database is preferred.