Senior Legal Affairs Specialist
National Jewish Health/*National Jewish Health - Main Campus/Executive Office
Full Time (40 hours per week)
Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Req # 13089
The position will oversee and manage the contract workflow and database system and will work closely with the various business units to ensure that all contracts contain the necessary elements to meet National Jewish Health, State and Federal requirements, and to hold contract owners accountable for compliance with terms and conditions. Serves in a generalist capacity to provide support in the functional areas of Legal and Regulatory Affairs that may include, but not limited to: compliance initiatives, policy management, privacy and conflict of interest.
- Manages all aspects of the legal and regulatory negotiation of contracts.
- Regularly negotiate, draft, review, and revise a wide variety of contracts including for service agreements, outside vendors, independent contractors, practicum and clinical site agreements, clinical trial agreements and research partnership agreements.
- Ensures agreements are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations and the inclusion of relevant compliance clauses and exceptions as applicable.
- Acts as point of contact between NJH and the organization or company being contracted with.
- Develops and implements standard contract language and internal contract policy documents.
- Trains managers and supervisors on contract review and preferred clauses for legal and regulatory aspects of contracts.
- Provide general regulatory advice and drafting as needed with respect to regulatory and compliance issues arising within the day to day operations of the institution.
- Maintains expertise and stays current on relevant laws and regulations through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses.
- Key contributor to the achievement of the Legal and Regulatory Affairs Department goals and objectives, ensuring the effective day-to-day operations by assisting in monitoring and auditing activities.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of special regulatory projects within Legal and Regulatory Affairs team and members of hospital departments.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Attention to Detail: Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time. Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
- Collaboration/Teamwork: Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Informing and Communicating: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Managing Work and Time/Project Management: Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages project(s) by appropriately focusing attention on the critical few priorities; effectively creates and executes against project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements (i.e., budget); effectively evaluates planned approaches, determines feasibility, and makes adjustments when needed.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Minimal local travel may be required.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Legal or related field is required. A Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school or Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Public Health (MPH), or Master of Public Administration (MPA) from an accredited institution preferred.
A minimum of 5 years of recent and related Contract experience is required, preferably in a healthcare setting or academic medical center. Experience reviewing and negotiating sponsored research agreements and/or clinical trial agreements.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
Extensive knowledge of PCs, and database software is required. Knowledge of Contracts and Contractual Language is required.