Responsible for managing the financial performance and financial analysis of the Department of Medicine to ensure financial success. Serves as a business partner to Senior Leadership in providing data resources to define, shape, and increase effectiveness of strategies. Provides information and support to leadership to define high-level strategic and tactical decisions through business intelligence tools and applications; assists with clinical partners to implement strategic decisions.
- Manages and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, interviews, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors, evaluates, coaches, counsels, disciplines, and rewards. Establishes and monitors staff safety and regulatory compliance.
- Oversees the department’s financial performance. Works with departmental leadership to maximize financial performance while meeting the mission. Works with scheduling, research administration and other key departments throughout the institution to ensure the effective operations of departmental programs.
- Oversees the Department of Medicine’s institutional and internal budgets. Coordinates the preparation and completion of the annual institutional revenue, expense and payroll budgets; reviews for accuracy prior to submission to the Finance Department. Reconciles Department’s annual institutional budget with the internal budgets.
- Assists the Vice Chairs and Division Administrators in developing and managing the Department of Medicine’s faculty compensation plans. Meets with Division Chiefs, Vice Chair of Finance, Division Administrators and faculty to discuss compensation plan methodology and data. Points out issues that arise out of the compensation plans and resolves them with the Vice Chair of Finance.
- Oversees departmental data reporting. Manages and sets standards regarding program measures and evaluation, business insights, report execution and tracking, stakeholder review, and ad hoc reporting. Ensures the integrity, timeliness and accuracy of reporting throughout the department.
- Manages/Assists in the design, selection and implementation of initiatives. Translates documented project requirements into specifications for Business Intelligence reports and applications. Works with stakeholders to implement/operationalize initiatives. Creates and updates project plans to report progress to all stakeholders. Creates ad-hoc queries & reports as requested and provide on-going analytical support for the requests.
- Serves as the liaison between the department and the central finance department to manage the department consistent with institutional objectives and to ensure an efficient and effective information flow between the departments.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Adaptability: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
- Building Strategic Relationships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Business Acumen: Using economic, financial, market, and industry data to understand and improve business results; using one’s understanding of major business functions, industry trends, and own organization’s position to contribute to effective business strategies and tactics.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Drive for Results: Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
- Impact and Influence: Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved. Taking advantage of opportunities to make a difference and have an impact. When used well, the intended outcome of this competency is the creation of goodwill, trust, and respect while motivating people to want to follow you even when they don’t have to.
- Managing Conflict: Dealing effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Addresses conflicts by focusing on the issues at hand to develop effective solutions when disputes or disagreements occur; helps others resolve conflicts by providing impartial mediation when needed.
- Problem Solving: Uses issue identification, data relation and comparison, pattern recognition and information gathering to create analyses and make recommendations.
- Talent Management for Leaders: Clearly establishes and communicates expectations and accountabilities; monitors and evaluates performance; provides effective feedback and coaching; identifies development needs and helps employees address them to achieve optimal performance.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Manages 1 - 5 employees.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Master’s degree in healthcare or business administration or related field preferred.
A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience in budget analysis, budget development and business administration; and two (2) years of managing or leading work of others.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
Experience with Tableau or other data visualization tools preferred. Experience with Python or other general purpose programming language preferred.