1. Leads the work of co-workers providing effective communication, direction, guidance and resources as appropriate.
2. Plans, develops, operates, records, collaborates and reports on major research projects on a very independent basis.
3. Writes and reviews manuscripts for publication. Receives acknowledgements on outside publications.
4. Reviews and/or writes grants submitted for funding.
5. Presents data in a formal setting such as national / regional meetings. Submits abstracts for these presentations.
6. Demonstrates advanced proficiency in data analysis, statistical tabulations and data preparation for presentation.
7. Acts as technical advisor to laboratory technical, support and auxiliary staff.
8. Attends seminars, meetings, and reads publications relevant to project development and completion.
9. Plans, develops and oversees projects carried out by graduate students on rotation, summer students or other temporary laboratory personnel.
10. Oversees laboratory functions during the absence of the primary investigator.
11. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Verbal and written communication, organization, time management, problem solving, attention to detail, customer service, computer and advanced laboratory and mathematical / statistical skills.
Bachelor's of Science degree in related field required.
Certification and Licensure
A minimum of six (6) years of progressively technical experience in general laboratory methodologies required. A Master's degree in a related field will suffice for two (2) years experience. A Ph.D. in a related field will suffice for four (4) years experience.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is in a laboratory. Frequent requirements may include: manual dexterity; normal color vision; long periods of standing and sitting, and frequent periods of bending, crouching or stooping; work with radioactive materials, toxic chemicals, biomedical wastes and research animals; potential exposure to infectious disease; work around electrical/explosive hazards; work with laboratory equipment/machinery; and lifting objects weighing 10 to 50 pounds; and extensive repetitive motion of the fingers, arm and wrist. Occasional requirements may include: sitting while completing paperwork, kneeling, and squatting. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
Inside environmental conditions may include: working in laboratories with odors, chemicals and animals; extreme temperatures; electrical; working around hazardous and radioactive substances; working under dirty and dusty conditions. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1500 employees in the worksite.
May lead the work of co-workers