Provides leadership and direction for laboratory(ies). Collaborates with Director of Operations, Medical Director(s), Laboratory Director(s), medical staff, and all applicable departments within ADx to ensure quality patient care delivery in compliance with laboratory accreditation requirements. Directs continuous operational improvement efforts of staff, processes, systems that are in place and facilitates the R&D resource needs for Laboratory Director(s).
- Manages and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, interviews, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors, evaluates, coaches, counsels, disciplines, and rewards. Establishes and monitors staff safety and regulatory compliance.
- Functions as technical supervisor, general supervisor and/or testing personnel (per CLIA and CAP) as needed.
- Collaborates with the Director of Laboratory Operations, Medical Director(s) and Laboratory Director of the area(s) and multidisciplinary health care team to develop and provide a quality, cost-effective, patient-care delivery system that is consistent with national standards and guidelines.
- Ensures clinical services are in accordance with local, state and national regulations. Ensures compliance with major credentialing bodies including The Joint Commission, College of American Pathologists (CAP), CLIA and Proficiency testing requirements.
- Supervises, maintains and documents legal operation of the laboratory to ensure compliance to: safety regulations; lab accreditation; federal regulations; quality control; instrument usage and preventive maintenance; and over-all laboratory standards of operation. Checks all test results for feasibility and accuracy before releasing results.
- Monitors laboratory expenses, including expenditures for reagents, instrumentation, and other expenditures, as directed.
- Ensures effective use of institutional information systems including training staff, monitoring quality and maximizing use of system in department. Ensures installation and validation of LIS/LIMS components where applicable.
- Participates in ADx process improvement projects such as LEAN Six-Sigma. Prepares ROI reports for these projects.
- Monitors use of equipment, reagents/supplies, and orders/stocks inventory to maintain adequate levels ensuring uninterrupted service. Supervises staff in inventory maintenance procedures.
- Develops new procedures as directed and approved by manager or director. Reviews and/or performs the appropriate validation studies to verify the new procedure according to federal regulations. Reviews existing procedures for validity and appropriate methodology, accuracy, completeness, and quality measures.
- Accountability: Accepts full responsibility for self and contribution as a team member; displays honesty and truthfulness; confronts problems quickly; displays a strong commitment to organizational success and inspires others to commit to goals; demonstrates a commitment to National Jewish Health.
- Building Strategic Relationships: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Champion of Change: Facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace. Cooperates with others to accomplish common goals; works with employees within and across his/her department to achieve shared goals; treats others with dignity and respect and maintains a friendly demeanor; values the contributions of others.
- Decision Making: Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Informing and Communicating: Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Managing Conflict: Dealing effectively with others in an antagonistic situation; using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people. Addresses conflicts by focusing on the issues at hand to develop effective solutions when disputes or disagreements occur; helps others resolve conflicts by providing impartial mediation when needed.
- Managing Work and Time/Project Management: Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently. Effectively manages project(s) by appropriately focusing attention on the critical few priorities; effectively creates and executes against project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements (i.e., budget); effectively evaluates planned approaches, determines feasibility, and makes adjustments when needed.
- Talent Management for Leaders: Clearly establishes and communicates expectations and accountabilities; monitors and evaluates performance; provides effective feedback and coaching; identifies development needs and helps employees address them to achieve optimal performance.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Manages 5 - 20 employees.
- Be available to work as scheduled and report to work on time.
- Be willing to accept supervision and work well with others.
- Be well groomed, appropriately for your role and wear ID Badge visibly.
- Be in compliance with all departmental and institutional policies, the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and completes NetLearning by due date annually.
- Fosters an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the institution.
- Adheres to safe working practices and at all times follows all institutional and departmental safety policies and procedures.
- Wears appropriate PPE as outlined by the infection control policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates compliance with all state, federal and all other regulatory agency requirements.
Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology, Biology, or related field required. Master’s degree in scientific field preferred.
A minimum of five (5) years of recent and related experience including performing as a medical/clinical laboratory technologist, or comparable experience required.
Special Training, Certification or Licensure
MT from ASCP, or equivalent preferred.