This position is responsible for the supervision of the Physician Scheduling & Waitlist employees and department functions. The team’s responsibilities include: building and maintaining physician and ancillary testing schedule templates, physician waitlist process, and physician time outs. Establish strong working relationships with critical Clinical Leadership to maximize patient, physician, and ancillary department satisfaction. Accountable for creating a culture of compliance, ethics, and integrity.
1. Determines staff qualifications and competency: recruits, selects, hires, trains, orients, mentors and rewards.
2. Manages/supervises and develops an effective staff: providing effective communication, leadership, guidance and resources. Directs in-service and continuing education activities for staff. Monitors staff safety compliance and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
3. Evaluates staff performance regularly and determines merit increases, promotions and disciplinary actions.
4. Responsible for solving scheduling issues with physicians and divisional leadership. Reviews clinic schedules for adequate provider staffing; and develops and coordinates solutions with director, physicians and divisional leadership. Build and maintain relationships with physicians, nursing, and clinic leadership to ensure quality service is delivered.
5. Accountable for supervision of employees who maintain schedule templates for ancillary departments; work with ancillary departmental managers to ensure availability to meet patient demand in a timely fashion.
6. Accountable for managing wait list process. Directs the use of wait list to manage timely access to care for patients. Ensures prioritization of waiting patients as schedules are made available. Monitors wait list process and daily reporting to maximize physician schedules. Reports on waitlist activities while communicating patient needs to clinic.
7. Acts as communication liaison to gather and document new and changed scheduling and provider guidelines. Ensures accurate and timely dissemination of information to all scheduling areas both internal and external to department. Works with department trainers to update training documentation and makes suggestions.
8. Prepares scheduling statistics and other required reports for department leadership, physicians, and executive leadership. Aligns staffing support to meet immediate needs, adjusting as necessary.
9. Performs, coaches, reports on Quality Assurance of team to include schedule builds for accuracy prior to release to Scheduling.
10. Identifies hindering factors in physician and ancillary testing schedules and develops and implements resolutions. Keeps physician leadership and departmental leadership informed of findings and recommended improvements.
11. Maintains appropriate level of expertise with QES scheduling system, Affinity registration system, and Allscripts EMR system. Maintain appropriate level of knowledge with NJH clinical operations.
12. Serve as a back-up to other Department Supervisors during absences.
13. Performs all other duties as assigned.
1. Performs, as directed, safety compliance and uses Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), as needed.
2. Participates in Quality Assessment (QA) and Quality Improvement (QI) programs, as directed.
3. Ensures compliance with The Joint Commission and all other Federal, State and Regulatory Agencies.
4. Responds promptly and sincerely to customer’s needs, requests and concerns via all communication forms using easily understood language and refraining from using inappropriate language and non-verbal gestures.
5. Maintains positive working relationships as a team player through problem solving issues, speaking positively about others, listening attentively and observing the Patient Bill of Rights and Confidentiality.
6. Increases customer service knowledge, skill and ability by participating in department and institution-wide specific programs.
7. Incorporates National Jewish’s identity (Science Transforming Life®) into daily functions. Speaks positively about the institution, provides customers with prompt service, maintains a clean and safe working environment, dresses appropriately based upon National Jewish safety standards, and departmental policies and wears an ID badge visibly.
Knowledge and Skills
Incumbent must have exceptional oral and written communication proficiency; attention to detail and ability to multi-task; possess strong organizational skills. Capacity to establish and maintain constructive business relationships with internal and external customers while maintaining integrity and confidentiality. Aptitude to research, analyze and successfully resolve a broad spectrum of issues. Incumbent must be a positive, professional team player, able to manage project time constraints and work with little supervision. Must be able to read, write, and clearly speak and understand English. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Visio and Word. Incumbent must have the ability to handle multiple projects at once.
High School graduate or equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree in administration, healthcare, communications, or other related field, preferred.
Certification and Licensure
A minimum of five (5) years of recent and relevant supervisory experience required.
- or - Any equivalent combination of Education and/or Experience
Position is an office environment. Frequent requirements may include: sitting for extended periods, entering and manipulating data on a workstation computer and participating in team/executive meetings. Approximately 75% of daily responsibilities will be working both one-on-one and in teams with other personnel and extended one-on-one contact in a quiet environment where hearing and listening is paramount. Must possess the ability to communicate by observation, verbal, written and listening; standing; walking; climbing stairs; stooping to remove/replace files; good hand-eye coordination; lifting, pulling, pushing, and upper body twisting while handling supplies and equipment; sitting while completing paperwork; using keyboard for PC and word processing needs. Occasional requirements may include: stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. Incumbent may be scheduled to work an alternate schedule to accommodate essential business needs routine travel by foot or automobile to alternate work/meeting locations, possibly during inclement weather.
No environmental conditions indicated. Professional office environment with time of each day spent in interaction with management/staff, in addition to planning and working autonomously. Requires teamwork and the ability to handle multiple interruptions; frequently fast-paced; high-pressure; occasionally variable-paced; variable pressure. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be provided to each employee when needed as determined by policy. Utilization of PPE is mandatory. Estimated 1750 employees in the worksite.
6 to 10